The Baccalaureate Diploma - BAC
The French Baccalaureate, the BAC, is an internationally recognised diploma which is often considered a reference when evaluating general cultural knowledge, critical thinking and academic progress. Indeed, the BAC is an all-encompassing, adaptable and demanding pre-university programme. The BAC is a two-year program in which written and oral exam results account for 60% of the final grade, and continuous, in-class evaluation accounts for the remaining 40%. The BAC is:
The World at Your Fingertips
The French Baccalaureate is recognised by universities across the globe, and students who obtain the BAC diploma can continue their studies almost anywhere in the world. While many of our students choose to pursue tertiary studies in France, others go on to study in Australia, Canada, Switzerland, the United States and the United Kingdom.
The Baccalaureate is a two-year programme in which oral and written exams account for 60% of the final grade, and ongoing assessments account for the remaining 40%. Have a look at the credits per subject and the changes to come in the 2022/2023 school year:
|General Subjects - Weekly Tuition Hours||Year 11||Year 12|
|History & Geography||3||3|
|Ethics & Citizenship||0.5||0.5|
|Modern Languages: Spanish, German or Mandarin (in 2022)||2||2|
|Sports & Physical Education||2||2|
The Mathematics elective allows students to explore and use mathematics as a tool in a number of areas, such as: algebra, geometry, analysis, statistics, algorithms and programming. The elective also includes the history of mathematics, which helps to identify the evolution of fundamental mathematical theories and broadens students’ understanding of the subject.
The ESS elective aims to contribute to forming citizens of tomorrow who are interested in understanding the major economic, sociological and political issues of our society. The elective is aimed at all students who seek to acquire specific ESS knowledge and reasoning methods in order to better understand the debates taking place across the globe. It is particularly useful for high school students who intend to study degrees in which economic, sociological and political skills will be highly valued.
The Physics and Chemistry elective offers students the opportunity to explore the real world, from microscopic to macroscopic elements, by studying the organisation and transformations of matter, movement, energy, waves and signals. Students will use the two founding aspects of the discipline, experimentation and modelling, to arrive at the mathematical formulation of validated laws of physics. The many fields of application, both in everyday life and linked to major societal issues (energy, environment), enable students to gain a concrete, dynamic and up-to-date perception of physics and chemistry.
The Earth and Life Sciences elective explores the elements of planet earth and its environment, the human body and health, and natural evolution. The programme helps students to develop skills in observation, experimentation, model building, analysis and debate, all of which are essential for pursuing higher education or a career in these fields of study. This elective explores the following scientific subjects: life on Earth, biodiversity, evolution, ecosystems, ecology and history. It also allows students to gain a better understanding of how their own bodies function, combining scientific concepts with reflection on personal health, as well as ethics seen from a global point of view, studying both public health and the environment. This elective builds on the knowledge already acquired in physics, chemistry and mathematics.
This elective is adapted to high school students who are seeking to acquire knowledge and analytic methods specifically adapted to the following subjects: History, Geography, Geopolitics and Political Science. Students get the chance to develop their to deal with major issues of historical importance at national and international levels. This is particularly useful for high school students who are preparing for higher education studies in fields such as law, business, management or international relations, or for careers in fields such as civil and foreign service, international non-governmental organisations, journalism and business.
In Humanities, Literature and Philosophy, pupils study literature and philosophy, from all eras, through a variety of texts in order to train them in thinking, culture and knowledge. The elective is based on several major philosophical themes that have accompanied humanity from Ancient Greece to the modern world. This subject develops students’ ability to analyse different points of view, to formulate well thought out personal reflections and to participate in debates concerning issues related to the major challenges facing humanity.
This elective specifically aims to increase students’ exposure to English, to allow them to gradually achieve a confident command of the language and to understand the associated culture. The focus is placed on studying and using the language in different situations and through integration. It is envisaged in its articulation with the study of the literary and cultural objects concerned. The written and oral language is worked on in all its aspects (phonology, lexicon, grammar) and in all language activities (reception, production and interaction), so that pupils are trained to communicate and can deepen and nuance their knowledge and skills.
The Digital and Computer Sciences elective aims to prepare students for tertiary studies by consolidating their basic computer science skills and knowledge. Students will be trained in scientific approaches and research activities, vital skills for those commencing university studies. This subject is taught via CNED, the National Centre for Distance Education, with the support of an LCS teacher.
|Weekly Tuition Hours||Y11||Y12|
|Economics & Social Sciences||4||6|
|Physics & Chemistry||4||6|
|Earth & Life Sciences||4||6|
|History, Geography, Geopolitics & Political Science||4||6|
|Humanities, Literature & Philosophy||4||6|
|Digital & Computer Sciences||4||6|
|Foreign Languages, Literature & Culture||4||6|
The Complementary Mathematics option is intended primarily for pupils who studied the Mathematics elective in year 11 and wish to continue studying extra maths in year 12 but not the Additional Mathematics option. This could concern students who need to place extra focus on mathematics as they intend to pursue tertiary studies in for example medicine, economics or social sciences. The Complementary Mathematics programme builds on the year 11 elective mathematics programme, which it consolidates and enriches with new mathematical knowledge
The Additional Mathematics option is intended for students who have a strong interest in mathematics and who aim to apply for tertiary studies in fields where maths is predominant (scientific studies, engineering studies, computer science studies). It allows an in-depth approach to other areas than those studied in the mathematics elective.
The Complementary Mathematics option is intended primarily for pupils who studied the Mathematics elective in year 11 and wish to continue studying extra maths in year 12 but not the Additional Mathematics option. This could concern students who need to place extra focus on mathematics as they intend to pursue tertiary studies in for example medicine, economics or social sciences. The Complementary Mathematics programme builds on the year 11 elective mathematics programme, which it consolidates and enriches with new mathematical knowledge and skills. This knowledge is also reinforced through putting concepts into practice in different situations and applied in various different fields.
The Law and Major Contemporary Issues option aims to broaden senior students’ knowledge and perspectives. Students will be introduced to the instruments of law – norms, institutions, professions -, its social role, and the methodology of legal reasoning. Starting with positive law and the way in which it helps to structure the major contemporary political, economic and social issues, students will address major themes of the contemporary world through a legal perspective. This option opens a pathway to law studies, political science institutes, but also to journalism and/or business schools.
The Ancient Language and Culture option presents ancient culture and literature as a reciprocal horizon to medieval, modern and contemporary culture and literature, with an aim to allow today’s children to understand their place in time and history. The curriculum has been designed so as to answer legitimate questions that students may ask today about themselves, about society, politics, the choices made by society, the world and other major contemporary issues.
|Weekly Tuition Hours||Y11||Y12|
|Law & Major Contemporary Issues||-||3|
Congratulations to our year 12 students who have all obtained their ‘Bac’, the French secondary school finishing diploma, and all of them with honours! Both students and teachers have worked incredibly hard, well done to all of them. We wish the graduates the best of luck for this next big step in their lives.